Go Back   ModernMuscleCars.net > Tech > General Motors
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Home

Welcome to ModernMuscleCars.net.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. Registration is free! Click the register link above to proceed.
Our Sponsors
Advertise with us! Grundy
Collector car financing
J. J. Best
Collector car financing
Mecum Auctions
Collector car auction house.
Performance Restorations
Car restoration experts.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
RIDERWS6

vBookie Cash: $500

Default Removing my door panel on 02 WS^

I am currently trying to remove my driver side door panel how ever I can't remove it over the door handle. Can some one give me a hand? My driver side power window on my 2002 Trans Am does not work. I removed the control harness to check for corrosion of a bad fitting and every thing looks like new. The window use to go up and down very slow and now it just stopped working and I can't bring my window back up. I am trying to remove the door to replace the motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
RIDERWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
RCowan99SSConv MMC Arcade Champ!
Soul Crusher

vBookie Cash: $500

This is a common fault of 4th gen fbodies. I have replaced 4 or 5 on mine in 9 years. :/ Get a new window motor from advanced for about $60. Dealer will charge you $160 for motor+regulator assembly. To get the panel off the door, first remove the plastic trim panel that goes around the switches, manual door lock, and door lever. There are 2 screws. Remove those little screws, pop off the sliding door lock lever, pull up the switch panel and stuff it inside the hole as you pull away this panel. You can pull "open" the door lever to make it easier to slide off. As you are sliding off you have to disconnect the connector to the little courtesy light that is on this panel. Now that you have that off you can remove all the Big screws that hold the panel on the door. Now you are home free, push up on the panel to free the clips that hold it to the door and the whole thing comes off.

To remove the regulator you have to first drill out the 3 rivets that hold the motor/regulator assembly to the door. You will see the rivets now that the whole trim panel is removed. you have to support the glass with some rubber door stops or towels stuffed in the gap, something like that. Then you can slide the regulator/motor assembly to the back of the car and get the wheels to slide out of the tracks. There are for wheels on this scissor-like assembly. It can be a pain in the ass to work it out. ... work it out toward the big hole in the back of the door... Oh also, take the speaker out first to make it easier to maneuver. Once you get that assembly out you can drill out the riverts holding the motor to the regulator and bolt up your new motor you got from advance. Before you remove the motor from the regulator make sure you secure it in a vice or tie the thing up with rope so it does un-spring violently and injure you! That spring is killer, treat it with respect.

All in all its a very easy job you can do in an afternoon if you have never done it before, or in an hour or so if you have. Its good to start now learning how to do it because you will do it every other year on one of the windows. Another tip i suggest is instead of putting in bolts-nuts to replace the rivets you drilled out in teh beginning, go buy some 7mm x 3/4" long bolts from ACE and tack-weld them to the regulator so it goes back in a hell of a lot easier and is easier to change the next time. you just slide the assembly in and put the nuts on from the outside of the door instead of reaching behind to hold a wrench on the back side while you tighten the nut on the inside.

Last but not least do some searches on LS1tech.com and CamaroZ28.com. I think there are some pics out there about exactly this since it is such a common thing.

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
rodslinger MMC Arcade Champ!
this space for rent

vBookie Cash: $25

Just run over some speedbumps. That thing will fall right off...
rodslinger is offline   Reply With Quote