Go Back   ModernMuscleCars.net > General > The Pit
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Home

Welcome to ModernMuscleCars.net.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. Registration is free! Click the register link above to proceed.
Our Sponsors
Advertise with us! Grundy
Collector car financing
J. J. Best
Collector car financing
Mecum Auctions
Collector car auction house.
Performance Restorations
Car restoration experts.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
65fairlane MMC Arcade Champ!
Idiot

vBookie Cash: $24200

Default BCS National Title Game

So who's it going to be Texas or Bama?

I really don't care, it should be an awesome game regardless of the outcome. I do like the way Bama's offense reminds me of a Big 10 team though.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Penn State beat LSU, and of course my team take the Rose Bowl. Florida/Cincinnati turned out exactly like I expected it to.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
StoneFox
lizzard shit

vBookie Cash: $1350

Its gonna be a good match up, but I think my Horns are gonna pull it off.

UT has a good enough run defense to shut down Mark Ingram, and I doubt that Bama is gonna be able to keep pressure on McCoy as good as Nebraska did (or should I say Suh, That guys an animal). The only thing I'm concerned about is Texas's rushing game.

Last edited by StoneFox : 01-05-2010 at 06:34 PM.
StoneFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 AM   #3
Hydroponic Stang

vBookie Cash: $500

Ah, you got to this topic before I did...

Even though the SEC has been unremarkable this season, they still have some of the most complete teams in college football...A lot of people I know feel that 'Bama will destroy Texas...I doubt it'll be a runaway, though...I think it'll be close with passing scores for Texas, and a more balanced attack from 'Bama...I'm really curious as to how the lines are gonna match up between the two...I just think that 'Bama might be stronger and faster up front...And, Mt. Cody, well, he's just fuckin' huge...
Old 01-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
StoneFox
lizzard shit

Damn what a disappointment, Colt McCoy getting hurt on just the 5th snap of the game. Alabama winning against UT without Colt was no good for either team, that win will always have a really big "what if" attached to it.
I do believe that the Horns would have completely dismantled the Tide if Colt would have not been injured. There were for sure 14 points that Alabama scored do to the inexperience of Gilbert (who played an extraordinary game for the situation he was placed in). and probably 7 more that would have been mitigated due to the Tide getting very good field position after a punt out of Texas's own end zone. Also they would have had more than 21 points with their star QB in the game.
Congrats to Alabama though, they are a great team and are deserving of being champs but that win will always be tainted.

On a side note, Mark Ingram is the best running back Ive seen in a long damn time. At only 19 years old and still developing, That kids going to be the next Emmitt Smith.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
Idiot

I agree about this game having a huge "what if" attached to it. I don't know that Texas would have completely dismantled the Tide had McCoy not gotten hurt, but it certainly would have been a more interesting game. Bama's defense wouldn't have been able to capitalize on so many mistakes, but who knows how they would have held up, they are a pretty physical team. I was impressed with the Texas defense too.

We'll never know...

Gilbert looked pretty good for a Freshman in the second half. One thing is for sure, opening day next year will be no big deal for him now.
65fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
Grape Ape MMC Arcade Champ!
Been there, thought that

vBookie Cash: $200

I would've called 'Bama all the way, but I thought the Horns would be in it once it started. I felt the Tide was too strong and fast for Texas and that seems to be the case. I won't view the "what if" because it is what it is and though it was sad to see Colt hurt, Gilbert was ASTOUNDING and I won't be surprised if he beats some of Colt's(and Vince Young's) records, provided he stays in school through graduation.

In local circles, I spoke with several horns fans and they just couldn't believe I was picking bama over their beloved team. The fact is, while I'm no fan of the SEC and I do like the Longhorns in general, I felt UF would've handed it to Texas and after Alabama HAMMERED them, I felt Texas had little chance.

Texas got 6 "gimme" points right away and they were looking like a solid challenger even after Colt left the game. Bama just proved too much in the end. Particularly when I considered Texas' struggle against OU and then Nebraska, I just felt they'd have fits trying to play Alabama's defense. Were I about "what if," I'd have to ask, "What if OU had Bradford against Texas?" In that case, UT may not have even made it to the big show, so I'll leave that out. It is what it is.

Admittedly, I was rooting for Alabama(my gals favorite team) but I was just sure they'd win. I almost wish UF had been playing so I could pull for Texas... Because, in FL, I just know it'll be all about, "The ONLY team to beat us was the one that won the NC!" and I can't stand that. Of course, I think UF would've beaten Texas too, so another championship goes to the SEC, which I don't like. The SEC just isn't THAT good as a whole and more and more people are seeing it now. Alabama though, truly had the best college team this yr. Congrats to them! Congrats to the Longhorns too, for playing till the end, even though the odds were against them. Were Colt not hurt, I feel the game would've been closer, but I still think the Crimson Tide would've come away champs. As I said before the game, Alabama can still play without Ingram, but Texas can't do as well without McCoy. Anyone take note of Robinson??? He's a TRUE freshmen as well, and the boy's got SKILLS! Ingram surely reminds me of Emmit, but hey, we'll see.

At least my OSU Bucs won! I wasn't sure they would before the game, but I was pulling for them and they really did hand it to Oregon. Tressel FINALLY let the dogs hunt and pulled away from his usual conservative approach!

UF crushed Cincy and I figured they would, but rooted for Cincy anyway. I don't hate UF, but the fans just SUCK anymore! I like Tebow and I believe him to be probably the best college player ever. I think Colt is a much better candidate for Pro, but in college, Tebow is the big dog.

On a REALLY bright note, the Cowboys WAXED Philly tonight! Good on 'em!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:00 AM   #7
StoneFox
lizzard shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape
I would've called 'Bama all the way, but I thought the Horns would be in it once it started. I felt the Tide was too strong and fast for Texas and that seems to be the case. I won't view the "what if" because it is what it is and though it was sad to see Colt hurt, Gilbert was ASTOUNDING and I won't be surprised if he beats some of Colt's(and Vince Young's) records, provided he stays in school through graduation.

In local circles, I spoke with several horns fans and they just couldn't believe I was picking bama over their beloved team. The fact is, while I'm no fan of the SEC and I do like the Longhorns in general, I felt UF would've handed it to Texas and after Alabama HAMMERED them, I felt Texas had little chance.

Texas got 6 "gimme" points right away and they were looking like a solid challenger even after Colt left the game. Bama just proved too much in the end. Particularly when I considered Texas' struggle against OU and then Nebraska, I just felt they'd have fits trying to play Alabama's defense. Were I about "what if," I'd have to ask, "What if OU had Bradford against Texas?" In that case, UT may not have even made it to the big show, so I'll leave that out. It is what it is.

Admittedly, I was rooting for Alabama(my gals favorite team) but I was just sure they'd win. I almost wish UF had been playing so I could pull for Texas... Because, in FL, I just know it'll be all about, "The ONLY team to beat us was the one that won the NC!" and I can't stand that. Of course, I think UF would've beaten Texas too, so another championship goes to the SEC, which I don't like. The SEC just isn't THAT good as a whole and more and more people are seeing it now. Alabama though, truly had the best college team this yr. Congrats to them! Congrats to the Longhorns too, for playing till the end, even though the odds were against them. Were Colt not hurt, I feel the game would've been closer, but I still think the Crimson Tide would've come away champs. As I said before the game, Alabama can still play without Ingram, but Texas can't do as well without McCoy. Anyone take note of Robinson??? He's a TRUE freshmen as well, and the boy's got SKILLS! Ingram surely reminds me of Emmit, but hey, we'll see.

At least my OSU Bucs won! I wasn't sure they would before the game, but I was pulling for them and they really did hand it to Oregon. Tressel FINALLY let the dogs hunt and pulled away from his usual conservative approach!

UF crushed Cincy and I figured they would, but rooted for Cincy anyway. I don't hate UF, but the fans just SUCK anymore! I like Tebow and I believe him to be probably the best college player ever. I think Colt is a much better candidate for Pro, but in college, Tebow is the big dog.

On a REALLY bright note, the Cowboys WAXED Philly tonight! Good on 'em!

True Bama could play without Ingram, and Texas was seriously hamstringed without McCoy. But the McCoy is their quarter back, Ingram is just a running back (not taking anything away from Ingram, The kid truly impressed me), Do you think the Colts could win without Manning?

I'm not saying Alabama wasn't good enough to beat Texas with Colt McCoy in the game, they were both truly the best two teams in NCAA football. But no matter what that game will always have a big "What If" attached to it. It was no good for either team. I do disagree that Florida could have beat UT, I don't think that the Gators were any match for either Bama or Texas. In fact Florida was not impressive to me all year. Also I was impressed with Gilbert I cant see any other true freshman playing the way he did in the situation he was put into, the kid is going to be a star. I don't think he can beat McCoys records, not because he isn't good enough, simply because McCoy was a 4 year starter and Gilbert is only going to have 3 years to do what Colt did in 4.

The Cowboys waxing Philly wasn't a bright note for me, I'm not a fan of the Eagles but I just hate Dallas. That may just be because I'm from Houston and I hate that whole damn city.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFox
Do you think the Colts could win without Manning?

They proved a couple weeks ago that they couldn't.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
StoneFox
lizzard shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fairlane
They proved a couple weeks ago that they couldn't.

Proves my point
Old 01-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #10
Been there, thought that

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFox
True Bama could play without Ingram, and Texas was seriously hamstringed without McCoy. But the McCoy is their quarter back, Ingram is just a running back (not taking anything away from Ingram, The kid truly impressed me), Do you think the Colts could win without Manning?

Were the Colts playing against colleges, sure they could win without Manning. Pro is a whole new ball game. Ingram isn't "as needed" as McCoy for only 1 reason. Ingram's backup is already about as good as Ingram. Gilbert will be as good as McCoy for UT. He went in and performed well as a true freshmen against the best team in college football. No doubt, he'll continue to get better. He may stay for a 5th yr too, couldn't he...

Quote:
I'm not saying Alabama wasn't good enough to beat Texas with Colt McCoy in the game, they were both truly the best two teams in NCAA football. But no matter what that game will always have a big "What If" attached to it. It was no good for either team. I do disagree that Florida could have beat UT, I don't think that the Gators were any match for either Bama or Texas. In fact Florida was not impressive to me all year. Also I was impressed with Gilbert I cant see any other true freshman playing the way he did in the situation he was put into, the kid is going to be a star. I don't think he can beat McCoys records, not because he isn't good enough, simply because McCoy was a 4 year starter and Gilbert is only going to have 3 years to do what Colt did in 4.

I don't much like the fact, but really... Tebow is a great team leader who steps his entire team to a higher level. I was concerned that 'bama wouldn't win the game while he played. I honestly think the Gator defense would've played UT even better than did 'bama and I may not give enough credit to UT's defense, but I think UF would've scored plenty on them.

Alabama was the best team this season, but I don't think UT or UF should've been ranked so highly, considering Boise State and TCU, both of which were outstanding all season. By virtue of no losses, UT made it to the big show. Not for that, Cincy would've been BLOWN OUT by Alabama, but Boise or TCU would've played much better. UT is in the top 5 for me, but around #4, not 2. The reason isn't offense, it's defense.

Quote:
The Cowboys waxing Philly wasn't a bright note for me, I'm not a fan of the Eagles but I just hate Dallas. That may just be because I'm from Houston and I hate that whole damn city.

Houston ain't so bad, but Dallas is great! Houston needs more roads and until it gets them, I'll surely prefer Dallas. I also prefer the layout of the city over Houston. Of course, I'm not in Houston as much or as long, but the traffic sucks except for the hours of about 2am till 4:30am. Dallas has much to offer...
Old 01-11-2010, 03:52 AM   #11
StoneFox
lizzard shit

Quote:
. He may stay for a 5th yr too, couldn't he...

Houston ain't so bad, but Dallas is great! Houston needs more roads and until it gets them, I'll surely prefer Dallas. I also prefer the layout of the city over Houston. Of course, I'm not in Houston as much or as long, but the traffic sucks except for the hours of about 2am till 4:30am. Dallas has much to offer...

McCoy was a redshirt freshman which made him a 5th year senior. They didn't redshirt Gilbert this year so he will be a second year player next year, so he only has 3 years to do what Colt did in 4.

You like the layout of Dallas over Houston? You can be in a nice part of town and take a left or right and a block down your in the middle of the Ghetto

I'm from Houston though, Dallas is our rival and maybe I'm just used to it. And yes, traffic blows in Houston wont argue with you there.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #12
Been there, thought that

McCoy had more time, but Gilber is pretty darned good. If they continue to win, he may have better weapons to throw to and that would give him a great shot. Look what Tebow managed in FL...

I like the Dallas layout WAY better than Houston. Dallas has freeways (and pay roads) all over the place and there just aren't enough lanes in Houston. Plus, if you go downtown to either, you're just not gonna like it. At least in Dallas, you can be right back out to a freeway in just a couple turns. In Houston, what I've noticed is, if you don't already know your way out, you may not find it for awhile unless you ask someone who does. I went to the the USPS on... Frankfort St I believe... I've heard of many people finding different ways to leave there and head north, but none of them could tell me what a US Mail did in only a couple sentences... Leave here and go 5 lights. Turn right and you'll enter I-45. He was right on, but the people not from there couldn't tell me that. I've told others and they've all told me how much time they think it'll save... Not going that way, you'll make 5 turns before you even get close to "out" of there.

Why is Dallas a rival of Houston, the Mavericks? It can't be foozeball... Houston sucks! It ain't baseball, the Astros SUCK! ... It's in the same state and just has fewer smelly people... can't be that. I don't get it!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:44 AM   #13
StoneFox
lizzard shit

Quote:
It ain't baseball, the Astros SUCK! ... It's in the same state and just has fewer smelly people... can't be that. I don't get it!

Hey leave my Astros out of this, We don't suck we've been hamstrung by some dumb ass decisions our former general manager made a few years back. Historicly we are much better than the Rangers.

Yeah, Houston is a pain in the ass to navigate if you dont know your way around. But its not so bad if you know what roads to take and when to take them.