Go Back   ModernMuscleCars.net > Tech > General Motors
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Home

Welcome to ModernMuscleCars.net.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. Registration is free! Click the register link above to proceed.
Our Sponsors
Advertise with us! Grundy
Collector car financing
J. J. Best
Collector car financing
Mecum Auctions
Collector car auction house.
Performance Restorations
Car restoration experts.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
tinkerbird

vBookie Cash: $500

Default auto trans trouble

we bought my wife a 95 t/a a while back and the kid we got it from didn't really know anything about the car. here is the problem. under normal acceleration the car shifts hard into second and third. also if you floor it, the engine will hit the rev limiter at 5500 rpm and wont shift out of first until you take your foot off the pedal. then if you floor it again in second it will do the same thing again. it won't shift into 3rd until you take your foot off the gas. i have checked the fluid but dont know anything about automatics to be quite honest. dose this sound like an improperly installed shift kit or something worse. any tips on how to fix this would be great. thanks.
tinkerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:34 AM   #2
JAY
"Mullet Man"

vBookie Cash: $5250

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbird
we bought my wife a 95 t/a a while back and the kid we got it from didn't really know anything about the car. here is the problem. under normal acceleration the car shifts hard into second and third. also if you floor it, the engine will hit the rev limiter at 5500 rpm and wont shift out of first until you take your foot off the pedal. then if you floor it again in second it will do the same thing again. it won't shift into 3rd until you take your foot off the gas. i have checked the fluid but dont know anything about automatics to be quite honest. dose this sound like an improperly installed shift kit or something worse. any tips on how to fix this would be great. thanks.

Are you sure the fluid isn't a little low? It doesn't take much to cause what you are describing. My '99 SS was doing that after a converter install. Turned out to be just a little low on tranny fluid.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
65fairlane MMC Arcade Champ!
Idiot

vBookie Cash: $24200

If you're find on fluid it might be the Filter. Those things getting mucked up can make all sorts of wierd things happen.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
tinkerbird

vBookie Cash: $500

fluid level is good. thanks for the advice on the filter though. if the fluid & filter change dont take care of the problem what would you guys sugest next? Im hoping to avoid a costly trip to the transmission shop. i have never been charged less than 800 in the past for trany work and dont have that kind of cash to throw at it right now. thanks for the help
tinkerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
rodslinger MMC Arcade Champ!
this space for rent

vBookie Cash: $25

Sounds like the detent cable might be too tight. Tranny is shifting too late and too hard. Do they still have the TXV cable on those cars? Kid may have adjusted it trying to bump up or change the shift points.
rodslinger is offline   Reply With Quote