Go Back   ModernMuscleCars.net > General > The Pit
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Home

Welcome to ModernMuscleCars.net.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. Registration is free! Click the register link above to proceed.
Our Sponsors
Advertise with us! Grundy
Collector car financing
J. J. Best
Collector car financing
Mecum Auctions
Collector car auction house.
Performance Restorations
Car restoration experts.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
bl3wbyu
n00b...no kiddin'

vBookie Cash: $500

Default 'Loaner' vehicle

Well, my Jeep's had water pooling up under the driver's side carpet here for about a month, so now that the stench of mold has been thoroughly embedded in my carpet, I thought it was time to pull it up and let it air out. Wednesday night I pulled the seat and molding out so I could pull up the carpet, and I've had a fan blowing on it ever since (actually just turned it off...all seems to be dry now).

Anyhoo, since the Jeep has been out of commission and school hasn't seen fit to close on account of it, I've been driving Dad's 2001 Suburban.

Man, I just love this car! I can't believe Dad wants to get rid of it. I think I'll sell the Jeep and take the Suburban instead of the Jetta! haha

It just rides so smooth, the steering and braking are effortless, the seats are comfortable, the A/C and heat work perfectly,...it's just awesome. And it's cavernous! I discovered yesterday, riding down the highway, that I echo in it! Hahahaha...I actually get an echo in it!

It'll actually get up and go fairly well, too. She has the 5.1L in it, if I'm not mistaken. But the best part of all...it sounds like a mean V8 at anything about 2000rpm. I gotta get me a V8!

The limiter cuts the gas right at 100, but from the little I experimented with it today, I think it'd probably do 120 or so without the limiter.

Last edited by bl3wbyu : 12-01-2006 at 05:54 PM.
bl3wbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:56 PM   #2
bl3wbyu
n00b...no kiddin'

Ok, question. It's been pointed out to me that next time Dad takes the Suburban in for service, right up top on the report's gonna be the code EXCESSIVE SPEED.

I definitely can't have that happen, I don't think. I have no idea what Dad would do. So, any of you know how to reset the code? Dad's a Snap-On dealer, so he definitely has a few scanners on the truck. The only question is how to use them. How to find the code. How to reset it. Would it work? Would I mess it up more.

And then, of course, there's the issue of my conscience. Could I actually let myself do that.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:36 AM   #3
LS1 Mopar Turbo MMC Arcade Champ!
VW Sucks!!

vBookie Cash: $2830

It has a 5.3.
Excessive speed code? I haven't heard of that one. Where did you hear that?
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
1998 Buick Regal GS
LS1 Mopar Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:14 AM   #4
JAY
"Mullet Man"

vBookie Cash: $5250

Never heard of such a thing. I think someones trying to scare you! They have ways of telling your speed and so forth if there's a accident, but they'd have to look for it. No code is going to pop up just because you go fast.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
bl3wbyu
n00b...no kiddin'

Really? Another guy on some stupid internet forum ( :p ) said that. I didn't just go fast. I bounced off the limiter. And he said that it would throw exactly that code: EXCESSIVE SPEED.

Here's what he said:
Quote:
Wait until your Dad's Suburban codes out the Excessive Speed code when they read the computer on the next service check. It appears right at the top of the report!

You've been had, son......................

Quote:
While you have the vehicle in your hands, get an auto mechanics student to clear the codes for you at your local school/Vo-tech.

I learned the hard way about this, when my company car went in for service and that code showed up at the top of the code list on the repair bill..............I was no doubt red faced!

Old 12-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #6
No Rice Allowed MMC Arcade Champ!
Instigator

vBookie Cash: $280

If it bothers you that much, tell him the truth....Tell him you sped a bit, just to see what she'll do and your sorry for really doing it to his truck....Be honest..Dad's love that! He might ground ya from it for a few days or so, but he'll know you were honest with him as well...and that is well worth it in the long run....
No Rice Allowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #7
bl3wbyu
n00b...no kiddin'

Well, that was my last reply on this other forum.
Quote:
I may just wait 'til he takes it in for service and take the heat whenever it happens. Certainly seems to be the more honest way to go about it.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:18 PM   #8
DeckSetter
The Coolest Guy You Know

vBookie Cash: $396

Oh come on, your dad's probably bounced it off the limiter too, how will he know YOU did it?

'97 Dakota Sport - Club Cab, 4x4, 5.2l, 5spd, 3.92's, 3" body lift, 33x12.5 15 Cooper Discoverer S/T's
DeckSetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #9
StoneFox
lizzard shit

vBookie Cash: $1350

They are filling your head with a bunch of shit man. If the engine light isnt on its not going to show any codes. Those guys are full of it
StoneFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:38 PM   #10
JAY
"Mullet Man"

vBookie Cash: $5250

Those guys are morons! Don't believe everything you hear on the internet!
Old 12-02-2006, 10:22 PM   #11
bl3wbyu
n00b...no kiddin'

Good to hear, good to hear.

I did see the service engine light come on...but I thought it was just lighting up because I just started it up...but it did stay lit a lot longer than I thought it should have.

Anyhoo, if it ever comes up, he'll know who to turn to. If it doesn't, then that's fine by me, too!
Old 12-03-2006, 02:04 AM   #12
StoneFox
lizzard shit

If it goes back off a few seconds after you start it then you dont have any codes stored.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:47 AM   #13
John
is a fucking asshole

Just because it stays on for a few seconds longer doesn't mean it blew a code out. When the check engine light comes on at startup it's because there are things not quite right due to the engine being cold or oil pressure not being up to where it needs to be just yet. If the light came on and stayed on and didn't go off, then there is a problem. You would notice it too due to either poor running or lower performance. However, on a vehicle with a ton of miles on it, it is not uncommon nor unreasonable for a check engine light to take a little longer than "usual" to go out.

As far as the putz with the company car, I would not doubt it that if he drives for a living, the company has some kind of nanny installed to show if he has been abusing the company vehicle or not. They have these computers that record all kinds of crap and if repairs are needed due to vehicle abuse, then can make that idiot pay for the repairs. If enough abuse occurs, they can take away his company car. Fleet maintenance is expensive and companies who maintain fleets of vehicles for thier employees keep a tight reign on them to help keep costs down.

In all my time of screwing around with cars, I have NEVER heard of "EXCESSIVE SPEED" come up as an OBDII error code. The OBDII computer will record if the engine bounces off the rev limiter but, it won't record vehicle speed. Vehicle speed has little to do with how the engine is running and OBDII doesn't care about anything else but the health of the drivetrain. OBDI wouldn't even both recording the rev limiter. Not many limiters are geared on speed, they are geared on engine RPM. It's not hard, through gearing calculations and such, to figure out how fast a vehicle will be moving at a given RPM, in a specific gear. Since most people can't figure out engine RPM based limiters, companies will tell you that it's limited at a certain MPH. Mine is limited at "149 MPH" yet I've bounced off the rev limiter as low as 138 MPH due to a head wind. I know a guy who bounced his Lightning off the rev limiter at 152 MPH with a tail wind on a slight downhill run. You can tell that guy he's fucking stupid and that he should shut his pie hole 'cause it's obvious he's either a checkbook mechanic or an armchair expert and he's only going to end up screwing somebody over with his misinformation.

If he's just trying to scare you then the idiot needs to get a life. If this is on the forum I think it's on, you should stop taking automotive advice from that crowd. The collective knowledge they have that is actually accurate wouldn't even fill up a thimble. Aside from a select few, very few there actually have a clue. Evidence of that is that they still believe that American cars are "junk".
Old 12-03-2006, 12:33 PM   #14
StoneFox
lizzard shit

I never even heard of a rev limiter code, Ive bounced my 01 Mustang off the rev limiter quite a few times. (damn thing hit the rev limiter right when it felt like it started making its power). It never threw a code because of it.

But if your still woried about that so called Excessive Speed code and want a little peace of mind take it to autozone and ask them to run the codes on it. Nothing will show up but then you will know.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #15
bl3wbyu
n00b...no kiddin'

Thanks for all the advice, folks. I'm not worried about it; whatever happens will happen. If anything comes up, I'll just deal with it then.

John - Yeah, that's the place. I suppose I should stop putting so much stock in what they have to say about cars.