Go Back   ModernMuscleCars.net > General > The Pit
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Home

Welcome to ModernMuscleCars.net.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. Registration is free! Click the register link above to proceed.
Our Sponsors
Advertise with us! Grundy
Collector car financing
J. J. Best
Collector car financing
Mecum Auctions
Collector car auction house.
Performance Restorations
Car restoration experts.

Old 08-11-2004, 09:30 AM   #1
3SuperSports
Veteran

vBookie Cash: $29100

Default Step in at your own risk..........

and remember the Pit's foot note "Almost Anything Goes (Not for those who are easily offended)"

This is a religious thing so if you want, back out now. I know from past experience that this can be a hot issue around here.

Before you make any long posts or bashing of what I'm about to say, please read the links I've provided and try to remember all of our life experiences are different and that it's not entirely impossible for a rational human being to arrive at the place I'm at right now.

I was raised Christian Science. It was my Father's families religion. For those of you who don't fully understand it, the crash course is; no belief in the physical being (quite literally). I struggled with it most of my life, but being raised to believe it as though my life depended on it made it difficult to dismiss it, even when comon sense told me to. I've fought to relate to other religions, but haven't been able to do so. I think I've developed such a mistrust in the people who claim to represent a religion, a faith or God, that I can't put my faith in them. Okay here's the first thing I'll ask that you read;
http://www.atheists.org/christianity/xtianScience.html
I don't remember how I found this, but it helped me with my thinking on that specific religion. The site in which it's located is a coincidence. I never considered myself an atheist. I think that word always made me think that I'd be equal to a devil worshiper if I were one. Of coarse I had to look around the site a little more and see what they were all about. Here's the next read;
http://www.atheists.org/visitors.center/intro.html
It's alot to take in, but it isn't what I thought it would be and technically I think I'm becoming an atheist without really trying to be one. I mean I haven't set out to be one, but just by my actions and beliefs, I think I'm beginning to fit the definition. The extreme separation of church and state where it applies to "In God We Trust" on our currency and those kinds of things don't bother me, but I have morals and don't feel like I need someone to tell me right from wrong. Anyway, I appologize if I offend anybody. If this is a bad post, don't respond and it'll fade back into the back pages soon enough. But this has always been a place where I thought I could ask/say anything and get different and (sometimes) thoughtful responses.
If there's any question here that I'm asking for an answer to, I guess it would be "am I f'n crazy"? How do you guys deal with the issue? Are you totally commited to a religion? or do you just not think about it? Do you consider yourself religious, but only pick and choose the parts of your religion that you believe to be valid?
I'll shut up now.
Thanks.
GM Loyal from June of 1976 until July of 2005.
3SuperSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 11:04 AM   #2
Slow Nova MMC Arcade Champ!
Veteran

vBookie Cash: $4300

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SuperSports
If there's any question here that I'm asking for an answer to, I guess it would be "am I f'n crazy"? How do you guys deal with the issue? Are you totally commited to a religion? or do you just not think about it? Do you consider yourself religious, but only pick and choose the parts of your religion that you believe to be valid?

No, you're not crazy. With the times being like they are, I've noticed that more and more people find it hard to believe in God. I know. I talk to them on a regular basis, as I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

I wasn't raised as a JW, I was raised a Protestant, but wasn't religious. Even when I started studying the Bible with the Witnesses, I didn't take it real serious for about 5 years, when all of a sudden, everything started making sense, and I knew that this was the right religion for me.

Yes, I am totally committed to my beliefs. Enough that I am willing to die to uphold them.
'98 Explorer 5.0
No more Slow Nova
Slow Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 11:07 AM   #3
skeezix
Resident railfan.

vBookie Cash: $500

"Believe what you believe, and let others believe what they believe."

Now if everybody did that, Shit! We'd have no wars!

2010 Pontiac G5 sedan
1977 Malibu Classic 2dr., 'Rhiannon' R.I.P. (still out there somewhere)
1986 GMC 1/2-ton, 'Gus' -for sale
skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 11:12 AM   #4
Tang
Veteran

vBookie Cash: $53300

It's not an issue for me. I'm like slow nova (not a JW), but my faith is strong.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:51 PM   #5
MikeT
Stuck in 1989

I grew up presbyterian and (sort of) became an atheist in my teens. I'm beginning to come around and belive in and have faith in God now.
However, I refuse to go to any church. I can put faith in God, but not in the men who claim to represent him. I look at church and government the same way. They both about money and power.

Can't wait till SVo and Carpet chime in!
Old 08-11-2004, 04:52 PM   #6
Lynn
dakotatrucks

Exclamation

This is something that may help. This is were I class myself on this.

http://www.deism.com/

Later,
Old 08-11-2004, 07:40 PM   #7
JAY
"Mullet Man"

vBookie Cash: $5250

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT
I grew up presbyterian and (sort of) became an atheist in my teens. I'm beginning to come around and belive in and have faith in God now.
However, I refuse to go to any church. I can put faith in God, but not in the men who claim to represent him. I look at church and government the same way. They both about money and power.

Can't wait till SVo and Carpet chime in!

It's sad that we have so many fake Christains in the world today. Many of them are responsible for people not wanting anything to do with God. We should always keep our eyes on God and not Man! People screw up and lie and thieve. Sad to say that some have been so called Christians. I'm not religious, but I believe in God and I do attend church. I may not always go and I may not always be a saint, but I try to be a good guy. God knows we are human and knows that we will screw up! Mike, keep in mind that all churches are not bad, but a bad one can really turn you against them! I know, I've been there. It wasn't the pastor who was the problem, but some of the other people in the church who had problems. But I realize that they are just human and nothing special. They screw up too!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:14 AM   #8
3SuperSports
Veteran

vBookie Cash: $29100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT
(sort of) became an atheist in my teens. I'm beginning to come around and belive in and have faith in God now.

This is where I've been for a long time now.

Thanks for the link Lynn. I'll go read it in depth later.
GM Loyal from June of 1976 until July of 2005.
3SuperSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:29 AM   #9
MikeT
Stuck in 1989

Old 08-12-2004, 10:22 AM   #10
Carpet_Liquer
Veteran

Religion has a good side and a bad side. The good side...people finding comfort and direction, living their lives by the rules of their religion. The bad side...millions of people being killed in the name of God.
Me, I don't believe in God at all. I've studied Ancient History for 15 years now and have found many issues that point to the whole God story as made-up bullshit, well...the Bible version anyway. People keep forgetting that the Bible is a book of stories written AFTER the death of Christ. There are much older stories that have been written which have ended up in the bible, but the names and places have changed to fit the Bible. Not only that, the Bible has been changed so many times that know one knows what the original said anymore. Look at a Catholic Bible and then look at a King James version, there are alot of differences between them. Which one is right?

I'm strong minded enough to guide my own life without having to look to an invisible man in the sky to help me.

Believe in what ever makes you be a better person. If you believe in God, then ask him to make you a good person. Religion is fucking everything up, stay away from it. ALL OF THEM. Faith is good, religion is bad.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:32 AM   #11
Tang
Veteran

vBookie Cash: $53300

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1JAY
It wasn't the pastor who was the problem, but some of the other people in the church who had problems. But I realize that they are just human and nothing special. They screw up too!

I was going to church reguraly. But the pastor (who is also a family friend) retired, and let some other guy take over. Well, I never even got to go hear the guy before word got back to me, he was spending his time preaching on ear rings, Britney Spears and smoking. I knew there was no use in me going back because me and that dude would have ended up in a fuss. Not once have I ever heard anybody say anything about Britney being in the bible. To top it all, even people back then had piercings !

Thats like a lot of people will preach on alcohol being bad. They tend to forget Jesus drank wine. It says plainly in Matthew, that whatsoever enterth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught. But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from th heart; and they defile the man.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:56 AM   #12
BurnOut
Speaker of the Truth

vBookie Cash: $1025

I'm going to throw in my two cents' worth here, after making the following disclaimer: It is not my intention to insult anyone, nor anyone's beliefs.

In any event, I have considered myself an atheist for as long as I can remember. When I was 13, I went through (Presbyterian) confirmation for several reasons (felt like my father expected me to do it, thought that there HAD to be something that I was missing re: God). Even before then, while I could buy in to the basic morals of Christianity (don't kill people, don't steal, etc...), I couldn't buy into the substance of the Bible. The content of the Bible is simply too radical for me to find it believable (read the begining of Ezekiel for a good example). For me, that queers (no pun intended) the whole deal... if the religion is based on "the word of God", and it is accepted that the Bible IS that word, then I can not accept the religion... because I can't support the foundation of it.

That doesn't mean that I'm a devil worshipper or anything stupid like that (if I don't believe in God, how can I believe in his enemy??)... it just means that I have my own moral code and my own belief structure that, while very similar to the morals set forth in Christianity, is based on nothing more than my own interpretation of what is right and wrong.

Don't get me wrong- I thoroughly believe that there was once a guy named Jesus walking the earth who had a great following... what I can't buy into is that Jesus was born of immaculate conception, walked on water, turned water into wine, or rose from the dead. I believe that Jesus was essentially a great political figure, and that his popularity stemmed from simply telling people what they wanted to hear; that there IS life after death, that you CAN spend eternity in paradise if you live a good life, etc...

As I mentioned before, my intent is not to upset anyone, nor to insult their beliefs... to each his own. I'm not even trying to cram my beliefs down anyone's throat... just stating what I believe, and why I believe it.

Speed costs money; how fast can you afford to go??
BurnOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:10 PM   #13
Markass
Veteran

vBookie Cash: $25

I talked to God today (he was at the bottom of fifth of Jack Daniels as usual, the crazy guy!)
Old 08-12-2004, 12:15 PM   #14
JAY
"Mullet Man"

vBookie Cash: $5250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus
I talked to God today (he was at the bottom of fifth of Jack Daniels as usual, the crazy guy!)

Do you ever have anything intelligent to say?

Never mind, that's a stupid question in itself. Of course you don't!
Old 08-12-2004, 01:18 PM   #15
Markass
Veteran

vBookie Cash: $25

you want intelligent? heres intelligent.

There is no mystical man in the Sky. God, does not exist.

We Came from apes, and Some of us, Are still there (lookin at you jay)